christmas portrait 2010

christmas portrait 2010

Sunday, July 25, 2010

Joel - Six Months

Note: Joel weighed in at 15 lbs. 11 ozs. at his well-baby appointment July 30.

Joel you were six months old yesterday and it's hard to imagine how quickly you have grown. About a week ago your daddy was looking through some pictures and came across this one of you before we left the hospital. We stared at it in awe. You are growing like a weed, and it is bitter sweet.



One of my favorite changes since your 4 month post is how you and Madelyn delight each other. You get so excited and squeal with glee when she interacts with you, and she just eats it up. She says you are her baby and is so proud of you. I learned today from her VBS teacher that Madelyn talked about her baby brother often the whole week. I was shocked that Madelyn reacted so calmly the first time you grabbed a fist-full of her hair. She really loves you and we can tell you love her too.



You have started solid foods and I am getting used to the changes solid feeding bring - more things to remember for outings, trickier scheduling, and let's not forget the change in diapers. Shoooey! After days of trying to get you to eat bland rice, I finally decided to add a little applesauce. You gobbled it up! You have since enjoyed wheat/barley/spelt cereal, avocado, sweet potatoes and peaches. Next will probably be your daddy's favorite ... peas! I have enjoyed making your baby food this time around too, and your facial expressions have certainly been worth the extra time!



As I have said many times, you are such a happy and content baby. You've known how to roll over for a long while now, but were always happy as could be just staying put. This week you've finally decided to be adventurous and see what you could get in to. There is no point in putting a blanket down for you to play on anymore. You roll off in no time flat after your toys and other things that spark your curiosity. The first items for you to get your hands on ... daddy's hunting and fishing magazines!! You made a bee-line for them two times in a row, and the second time I had to pry them out of your hands. You were mad and vocal! All that hard work for nothing ... it's a shame! Let me also mention you are trying so hard to sit up. You'll balance for about ten seconds, then topple over. It won't be long ...



I love this picture of your teeth. I call this your vampire boy picture. Last week you added your two middle top teeth making six teeth in six months. You are a fast teether just like Madelyn. The days those teeth were breaking through and really bothering you, I reconsidered my plan to nurse until you're one. You are a bitter ... no, let me reword that ... you like to clinch down and boy does it hurt! I've stuck with it though. I just can't give up our special time quite yet. When I scold you for biting, you just smile and your sister gets upset. It's rather cute how protective she is of you. I doubt she'll feel the same way the first time you try out those extra sharp baby teeth on her.



You are still wearing 3-6 month clothes and your size one shoes no longer fit. You just graduated to size 3 diapers and I am anxious to see what you weigh Friday. You still take a 1 to 1 1/2 hour morning nap and a 2 - 3 1/2 hours afternoon nap. If we are out and about or at church in the morning, you refuse to nap because there are so many sites to see. Thankfully you continue to stay happy (for the most part) even in your sleep-deprived state.



Joel, you are such a blessing to our family, and I can't imagine my life without my sweet little boy. You added even more joy to my life!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my how he has grown!! I told Daddy yesterday that we really need to see our Texas grandkids!

    ReplyDelete