Adrenaline rushes can cause headaches.
How do I know this? Because I'm currently suffering from a headache that immediately followed a major adrenaline rush.
I like to think I'm a responsible mom. I guess even responsible moms get themselves into major predicaments. Most Tuesdays you will find Madelyn, Joel and me at Chick-fil-a because a)we love the place and b)free kids meal! Many times we meet friends there but today it was just us. Oh how I needed friends today!
As I was getting the kids in the van to head home, I clicked Joel's infant carrier into the base and told Madelyn to go sit in her seat as I turned on the van, turned the AC on high, and free my arms of bags, drinks, etc. I shut the door and walked around to the passenger side to buckle Madelyn in her seat. The door was locked. The passenger door was locked. The back hatch was locked. Both drivers side doors were locked. All of sudden I remembered in the hustle and bustle of things that I accidently clicked a button on the key chain clicker. I didn't think twice about it at the time. Let me remind you I had already unloaded my arms so my cell phone was locked in too.
As I started to panic trying to figure out if a responsible mom would leave her babies in the car to go find help in Chick-fil-a or try to flag someone down, praise the Lord! ... a policeman from the Dallas Sheriff Office walks out. I motion him over for help and explain my predicament. To top off a bad situation, Jonathan's personal cell phone is not working and I didn't have his work cell number memorized. Those heroic Dallas police officers deal with all kinds of yayhoos. Who knows what he thought of me?!
After he realized the AC was running, he got on his cell and started working with the dispatcher to get a number to Jonathan's office which was less than five minutes away. In the meantime, it all of a sudden dawns on me that I hadn't buckled Madelyn in her seat yet. Her sliding door is automatic. All she has to do is push a button from the inside and magic! ... it opens on its own. Anytime I don't want her to open it, she can. For some reason, we had to work with her and coach her and encourage her. I don't know exactly what it was but she couldn't or wouldn't open the door. Was it not working because the doors where locked? ... Was she scared of the policeman? ... Was she confused? She tried to unlock two doors but nothing. I guess she started to realize the scariness of the situation and started to cry. I kept patiently working with her to push the button. After what seemed like FOREVER but was probably only five minutes, I heard the amazing sound of the automatic sliding door starting to open! Praise God because our attempts to get Jonathan's office number hadn't shown any progress yet.
Thank you Lord that the AC was running in this 107 degree Texas heat. Thank Lord for sending the policeman at the perfect time. When it was all said and done, Madelyn told the policeman, "Thank you Mr. Policeman." Thank you Lord for Jonathan being so close by. We never reached him, but just knowing it wouldn't take him long to get there helped keep me calmer. Thank you Lord for helping Madelyn get that door open!
Adrenaline rushes must also cause exhaustion because I am wiped out now. Time for a nap.
Italian Gnocchi Sausage Soup
1 day ago



My Mom has a very similar story (except it was me having to unlock those old-day locks!) We lived in Goldsboro, NC at the time...she said it took A LOT of encouraging to get me to open the door :). SO happy that the AC was on and Madelyn was able to open the door. You will remember this story for forever now!
ReplyDeleteSara C
Praise God that you had the air conditioner on!! This reminds me of the time that Phillip locked you in your bedroom (to get you out of his way)when we moved into the doublewide. There were opened unpacked boxes in the bedroom and I was not sure what was in them or whether there was anything that could hurt you. I was on the phone with Mrs. Zander when this took place and she quickly got in her car with a screwdriver, drover over, and took the doorknob off to get to you! Thankfully there was nothing in those boxes that would hurt you!!
ReplyDeleteSuch a sweet, inspiring story. It is so cool to look back and see God's fingerprints all over it. He is taking care of you! You are an awesome mommy. (BTW sorry I wasn't there...I would have done the panicking for you.)
ReplyDelete